Well I’ve been sitting on this one for a long time, mostly due to things being crazy around here (like having a baby, school, yadda yadda). I’m releasing an update to my popular WordPress plugin: Absolute Privacy 2.0 beta 1 is ready for public testing. You can read the change notes below, or just download the .zip file.
A lot has changed, but here’s a quick rundown:
- 3.0.x+ required
- Complete code rewrite. I rewrote the entire plugin from object oriented to procedural as this made more sense to me for this plugin. It should be much easier for others to modify and read through the code. No need for overkill here.
- Two different privacy methods: complete lockdown and members area. Complete lockdown functions like the plugin did previously, the entire site will be password protected. Members area allows you protect a specific page (and all subpages).
- Ability to allow access to homepage even with complete lockdown enabled.
- Added two new (currently undocumented) shortcodes.
[loginform]will display a login form on a page or post and
[profilepage]will display a page for logged in members to change their password, email, etc. Documentation coming before the final release
- Rewrote the authentication functions to use the authenticate filter rather then overwrite the entire function found in pluggable.php. Much better! See this post for more info.
- Added a notice when a user doesn’t have registration enabled (by far my biggest support request)
My To Do List
Unfortunately I didn’t get to everything on my to do list that I wanted. The two major things that are still in the works are multisite support and translations. The plugin now gracefully notifies the user of the lack of multisite support (rather then just flat out not working and leaving the user to wonder why). I’ve got a good start, but multi-site adds a bit of complexity that I haven’t had time to tackle fully. These are the big two that I’m working on.
Also on my to do list is to add some actions and filters to allow for additional registration fields and make the plugin all around more extendable to developers.
Absolute Privacy 2.0 beta 1 – .zip (20kb)
Download and unzip the .zip file and place the folder in your /wp-content/plugins/ folder.
Note: Since this plugin release is a beta, I recommend using this on development sites only. Use this plugin at your own risk. Although I believe it to be fairly stable, every server is different, so your mileage may vary.
Report Your Bugs
Beta releases are pointless unless I get bug reports back. Either leave your bugs, comments, or praises in the comments below, or email them to me at j[at]johnkolbert[dot]com.